Sunday, April 28, 2013

Too Much Working, Not Enough Fun


Since I so proudly proclaimed that Prom Season was half over, I got my May schedule and wept.  I still have 4 weeks before I get a Saturday off.  And, I'm soooooo looking forward to it.  At least the 9 o'clock shift ends this next week.  Of course, I'm on that shift twice...but at least it's ending.

These are, apparently, the best cupcakes I've ever made.  It's a dark chocolate cake mix with chopped nutter butters mixed in, peanut butter frosting with a dollup of fudge frosting and a nutter butter on top.  I call them Escape From the Nut House.

Pinterest update:  I tried making my own chalk board paint.  Several times, with not a whole lot of success.  Rich made a little tray with green paint but the color wasn't even.  Then I bought a bigger tray and used black but too much grout powder and it turned out like gravel.  So, Rich finally forked out the big bucks and bought some at the store.  I know, I'm just as shocked as you.  The plan is to use this as a menu board.  I'm going to attach a big bow and a clothes pin so that I can write dinner instructions for when the kids have to finish dinner while I'm working.  It should be done just in time for it not to matter any more.

My sweet baby Sierra was having a rough go of things last week.  I won't go into details but it was one of those times that really made me wonder why the hell I thought I'd be okay as a parent.  So, what's a crazy, worried mom to do but start a quilt for her daughter.  I'd been saving Alice In Wonderland fabrics for the last couple of years to make this for her.  It's the original artwork, not the Disney version.  I think I was going to do a Take 5 and then changed it to Turning Twenty and then didn't quite have the right amount of fabric for either...  I should have taken a close up.  I've got Alice, the white rabbit, tea pots, clocks and card guys all over this thing.  There's enough to do an outer border but not enough to do an inner border.  I really think it needs something more so, hopefully I can find Alice fabric somewhere.  Sierra is doing much better, so I don't feel the rush to get it done anymore.  Gotta say though, super quick and easy pattern.  I cut and sewed the whole thing in one day.

Then the other day I got a package in the mail.  My friend Donna went to Paducah and saw a book and 3 kits for pin cushions from Primitive Gatherings and thought of me.  It's so awesome!  First of all, that I have friends that think of me when I'm not in their face, and second the kits and book are soooo cute!  Naturally, I couldn't wait to do something.

I'm using wool on cotton.  The instructions suggested that I use steam to apply the wool.  I put water in my iron for the first time, and wouldn't you know, it spit brown water all over my project!!!!  Grrr.  I might work on this some next week.  I've got a crazy idea to frame it when I'm done and I spot clean it.
While I was waiting for a trip to the fabric store, I started yet another project.  I made one a few years ago for Sweet Annies' and loved it.  So, I used up the kit I've been saving since then.  It's going to be a wedding gift.

You take a layer cake and sew a charm square in the middle.  Don't finish the edge or worry too much about placement, just sew it down.  Then, cut it in four pieces.  Mix them all up and sew them back together.  It's a raw edge applique.  And don't freak out because your squares don't match up.  You did that on purpose!
I finally got to the fabric store and bought creams for the setting triangles for the trees.  And, I started piecing it together.  This is about half the middle strip.  There will be applique branches up and down the sides and then another layer of trees on each side.  This may be difficult for me to part with when I'm done.  We shall see.

No comments: