Sunday, December 9, 2012

Well, It Won't Pass Inspection but It's Cute

I feel like I'm not getting anything done but I'm busy all day long...

I've been having such terrible sewing machine drama since I've been on lay off.  I thought I'd be so productive and it pretty much has been the opposite.

These are some towels I managed to finish for a Christmas party exchange.  I'd like to get 2 more sets done for some other gifts but we'll see if that happens.  I also want a set for myself:)

I have quilted and un-quilted Christmas Wishes.  I was trying to get it done by Tuesday - the guild's Christmas party.  Doesn't look like that's going to happen.  A number of my wonderful friends offered to lend me their machines while mine was being repaired.  But, I was afraid my bad juju would rub off on their stuff and then I'd have to pay to fix their machines, too.  Not good. Not to mention, I got to the point where I didn't want to even look at that quilt again.  My machine is supposed to be done Monday.  I'm hoping for the best.

I also started making a bunch of snowman table runners.  I was trying to get them done before my in-laws came to visit for Christmas.  That didn't happen, so there they sit until I'm ready to get to it again.  One of the ribbons from the outside of our house feel off and my Father-In-Law wore it as a bow tie.

Then I started cutting and sewing the ribbons for our Quilt Show in June.  These really need to be done before spring or I'll never get them done.  I'll post pictures as they come together a little more.

Something else I've been working on is my very first Gingerbread house.  I think I did pretty good for a newbie.

The construction elements weren't perfect.  Some of my walls were too thick.  I didn't know which wall went where, so when I put in the windows, they aren't evenly placed around the house.

I took one whole day to bake the walls.  Then another to put it together.  Then another week to decorate.

I used Necco candy on the roof, Fruit Stripe gum for the shutters, rice crispy shrubs and graham cracker doors.  I filled the 2 windows I made with butterscotch.  The rest is frosting.

It's not going to pass with the Code Inspector... My roof is a little wonky.
Looking at this picture, I realized that I didn't edge this last side with frosting.  It's now fixed.  Good thing I wrote this blog before the Christmas party...  It's going to be a table center piece at our Guild Christmas Party and given away as a door prize.

This was a lot of fun.  I will definitely make another one next year.  If you're thinking about doing one, I suggest you go to this website to get recipes, ideas and tutorials.  It has everything you need to know!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Sorry to hear about the machine troubles! Love the gingerbread house - I'm sure it was a hit at the party!