Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Should Have Just Bought The Dang Pattern



Every time I go to a class or a Quilts of Valor meeting, I'm always under prepared.  It's a big hassle to get things ready before you go.  You basically have to dismantle your sewing room and hope you remembered everything.  Spoiler alert, I never remember everything.  So, in order to make my life easier, I've made a few things I'm going to keep ready to go at all times. 

I made a little carrying basket to hold thread, rotary cutter, pencils, needle keeper, and such.  I still have to buy a variety of patriotic threads for my Quilts of Valor meetings that I won't use for anything else.  (We'll see if I can stick to that plan)


I also never have a proper ironing surface.  I saw this really cute iron caddy that folded up to a little bag to carry your hot iron in.  I don't know why I didn't just buy the dang pattern.  Theirs folds up and buttons closed on the outside all cute and perfect.  I thought I could do the math with the fold lines.  It didn't work out.  Then, I made the tragic decision to add snaps.  I don't know how to apply snaps.  After putting holes in it for snaps that didn't work, I settled on hooks and eyes...mine works, but it's not nearly as cute or awesome.

 Then, I saw this super fabulous bag on Shabby Fabrics website.  Of course, I didn't buy the pattern.  I made it wide enough to hold my thread basket and iron caddy.  The outside pocket is wide enough to hold my super awkward 6.5"x22" ruler.  A folded QOV fits perfectly in the center as well.  I'm pretty happy with the bag.  Please note the patriotic color theme of all items.  I know, clever, right?
My most recent Pinterest project is this t-shirt.  I used a bleach pen to draw on it.  I wish I had chosen a darker color shirt, the bleached part would have been more striking.  I also would have made the design more towards the front and less towards the side.  The important thing to notice in this picture is that I've lost 3 lbs. from quitting Dr. Pepper.  You could tell, right?  :o)

This pineapple cut work block is going to be part of a quilt for The Applique Society.  Several of us in the local group have agreed to make the same block in different colors.  Someone will put them all in a quilt to be displayed at our quilt show next summer.  Then, one of us will win it.  Please.  Please.  Please.  I have to say, this is a personal best for me.  I've never done points this well.  Thanks to those fabulous tutorials that we had at the last meeting.  Bethany was making fun of me on my way to the last meeting because I had loads of stuff with me.  I was like (in my best prestigious voice), "It's The Applique Society, Bethany!  We have serious things to discuss."

Last but certainly not least, The Wish.  I've been following an Australian quilt designer, Red Brolly's blog and she has graciously started putting the directions for her Christmas quilt on her blog for FREE.  I am ridiculously happy about this project!  Love it!  Back in February (of last year?), I won the red Fat Quarter Raffle.  So, I've got lots of red to choose from. Admittedly, perhaps too many of them are either polka dotted or hearts, but I love dots and hearts.  And, I am pretty limited with the white with red.   I may need to add to the collection but I promise to try to keep myself in check.

No comments: