Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Not bad in a loose, artistic sort of way...

 In a galaxy far, far away....Luke, I am your sister:)  Yep, I have a brother named Luke and I can't think of Star Wars without thinking of him.  Although, my latest quilt is not for Luke.  He can be jelly (jealous, for those of you who don't have a house full of teenagers) if he wants to.  My great-nephew Hayden will be getting this one.
Darth and the Millennium Falcon are my favorites!  The patterns are from a free site, Fandom In Stitches.  You should definitely check them out.  They have some really amazing patterns from all your favorite sci-fi movies and cartoons.  I'm also planning  Harry Potter and Twilight quilts based on patterns from this site.  These are paper pieced and I had to double the size to make them 9" blocks!  Then I added borders until they were 12".  I can't imagine doing one of these actual size!!  There were some itsy bitsy pieces.
 
 R2D2 gave me fits!  How do you do this guy justice with fabric?  I had hoped to find white fabric with blue rectangles to make it some what more literal but it just wasn't happening.  So, with the urging of my family, I embroidered some detail on his... head? 
 I was most worried about Yoda in the beginning because I couldn't imagine getting his face right.  But, luckily, my son Hunter is a really good artist.  I had him draw the details and I just traced with thread.  Hunter ends up doing a lot of my artwork for me.  Thank you, honey:)  All in all, I kind of like this one but it only matters if Hayden thinks it's cool.  Fingers crossed.
 When Star Wars was finished, and by finished I mean ready to be quilted, I decided to finish a few projects from Valentines past.  This little Storm At Sea was the Super Bowl mystery last year.  It's been hanging on my railing all year.  I used some of my least favorite fat qtrs that I won at this months guild meeting as backer.  Got it quilted and stalled out when I realized I didn't save anything to bind it in.  Dang It!  So there is sits until I can go shopping again.  Luckily, I think Sweet Annies still has some coordinating fabrics.

Which reminds me, at our guild meeting, I won 39 red/ valentine fat quarters!  SCORE!!  I think I won it last year or the year before in Jan or Feb because I've won pink before.  And, I won the patriotic month once...

Also, last month I won  a free applique book.  I need to stop thinking of myself as never winning anything!

So, then I moved on to Heart Strings.  I made this quilt top a few years ago for Sweet Annies as a store sample.  I always thought it was cute and knew I'd never make another one.  So, when she was done with it, I bought it back and hung it on my railing for a year.  Sunday, I got it quilted.  And, I've got it at work with me to finish the binding.  My awesome new job allows me to work on this kind of stuff while I'm in between phone calls.  Jees, I'm a lucky girl when I think about it!

Happy Stitches everyone!

1 comment:

Jennifer Ofenstein said...

Wonderful! Thanks for using some of my patterns for your Star Wars quilt!